Friday, August 11, 2006

Vacation Time!!!

I am too excited. On Monday 8/14 at 8:45 a.m. I will be on my way to the Riviera Maya in Mexico. We're going to be staying at the Grand Gala Esmeralda Beach Resort & Spa. Just typing the name of the resort makes me feel so happy. Yes!!! I will be there fore 5.5 days and will return on 8/20. This is a well overdue break.

But I have been stressed....can you guess why??? That's right - what books to bring! Good Lord, this is giving me such a headache. As I've mentioned before, I have been on a buying spree. Danielle & Iliana - I will definitely post all of my purchases as soon as I get back. I've been kind of scared to because that will mean I will have to own up to all the money that I have spent. And I know that it's not going to be pretty.

One book that I definitely will be reading is The Birth House by Ami McKay. I actually received an ARC from Harper Collin's First Look program. Since the review is due on September 1st I have to get cracking. I peeked at some pages and so far, so good.

So back to my dilemma. There is so much I want to take with me and I really don't know how to narrow it down. I'm thinking of bringing a smorgasborg of genres - classics, cozies, contemporary fiction.

Here goes the possible list:

The Birth House by Ami McKay (Fiction)
The Keep by Jennifer Egan (Fiction)
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (YA)
Probable Future by Alice Hoffman (Fiction)
Seventh Heaven by Alice Hoffman (Fiction)
The Glass House by Ashley Gardner (Mystery)
Murder Under a Mystic Moon by Yasmine Galenorn (Mystery)
Dinner at the Homesick Diner by Anne Tyler (Fiction)
Class Mothers - forgot the author's name (Fiction - about rich parents)
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (Fiction)

I'm at work right now so when I get home I will add more to this list. Then maybe I can narrow it down.

BTW - Nancy, you are so lucky to have received two bags of books from your mom!! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

By now you must be sipping Margaritas and enjoying the beach - hope you are having a wonderful vacation!

Anonymous said...

Have a fantastic time.

I bought 5 books over the weekend. I am addicted too!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, lucky you! Hope you are having a great time! I hope you are enjoying The Birth House! I thought it was great! Looking forward to hearing all your adventures!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I really need to try out an Alice Hoffman book one of these days. Everytime I see one they look really interesting but I have yet to give her a try. Love the cover for The Ice Queen

Booklogged said...

Gee, you'll be back by now. Hope it was absolutely wonderful. I've only read one of Hoffman's books - Blackbird House - and I didn't care for it at all. I'll be anxious to hear how you like the two you've listed.

The Ice Queen cover is great. It could go with my post about headless women on book covers.

Cipriano said...

Hope your trip was awesome. Did you really take that many books? That's wildness!
I just booked a trip to Riu Bucerias [Mexico] near to Puerta Vallarta... for January of '07.
Thing is, the four people I am meeting there WILL NOT LET ME READ AT ALL.
Ever!
So, all of my reading will be done on the plane, therefore, my book-taking woes will not be as bad as yours were, here. But I usually agonize over this thing too, when I travel.
BTW, I read your profile thing. My favorite time of the year is also Christmas.
All the best to you.