Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death by Daniel Manus Pinkwater

* Unfortunately, I could not find artwork for this book
I read this book after a recommendation by Zachary of Invisible Ink. He raved about it, recommending it as a good read when you're in a reading slump. Curious about this, especially because of the title, I borrowed it from the library. I had been stressed out due to a project I was working on for my studies and nothing that I was reading was appealing to me. I was stressed, frustrated, over-whelmed, and frankly, not happy. That night, I pulled the book out, stared at the cover for a while (which had an odd drawing of three teens, making it all the more tempting), and proceeded to read the first chapter. It opens with a 14 year-old boy sitting in class, just spewing forth thoughts on his surroundings. I was hooked.
The premise of the book revolves around "snarking out", which means sneaking out of your house late at night, hanging out, and sneaking back home without getting caught. The characters had it measured to a science.
I really enjoyed this book! I was surprised that I did as it was not something I would normally pick up on my own. There some parts that literally made me laugh out loud, while other parts had me giggling at some of the odd occurrences that showed up frequently. It was a great distraction - it was odd and I could not put it down.
I'm glad that I read it. Sometimes I have to reach out beyond my boundaries to find something that I can truly enjoy. It wasn't pretentious, serious, heart-wrenching, or educational. It was a good read that I will re-visit again. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, and props on your blog (and mine). Not to sound nit-pitcky, but you link the title to the book's *sequel* (yes, there is one), despite inaccurate info on that Amazon page.

Thanks again.

Amelia said...

Not a problem! I love to promote other blogs that I really enjoy!

Thanks for pointing out the error ;) I fixed it.

So, there is a sequel...sigh...I need to get depressed again so it can lift me out of the dark! :)

Thanks for stopping by!